Pages - Menu

9/5/14

Arc'teryx Beta LT Hybrid



Currently my favorite jacket, the +Arc'teryx Beta LT Hybrid is a lightweight, do-it-all jacket. It's a  personal taste but I'm a big fan of jackets that have a high collar. It's functional for keeping out cold wind and I think it looks good enough to wear on special occasions. 

I use the Beta LT for just about everything. When the clouds look daunting I can roll the jacket into its hood and take it with me fly fishing, mountain biking or mountain hiking. The 'hybrid' concept of this jacket means it's a combination of two types of Gore-Tex and face fabrics. Made with N40r (40 denier nylon ripstop) on top of Gore-Tex Paclite for minimal weight and compressibility and N40p (40 denier nylon plain weave) on top of Gore-Tex Tricot 3 layer in the high-wear areas of the jacket for added durability and abrasion resistance when carrying a pack. Tricot technology is essentially a lightweight liner that is comfortable next to the skin and helps reduce noise when moving around in the jacket. 

Gore-Tex Paclite meets Gore-Tex 3L w/ Tricot technology

It's not the lightest jacket out there weighing in at 13.4oz for a size medium but it's design makes it a versatile piece of gear. While the jacket is great for most activities from spring to autumn I wouldn't risk tearing the jacket up on the mountain during the winter. It's definitely wearable out on the town during the winter because it's a serious snow shredder but I feel it's to thin to wear for high-output snow sports. 

The fit is what you can expect from Arc'teryx's attention to detailed articulation. Ergonomic 3D patterning enhances range-of-motion and a trim cut fits well without the extra bulk and helps shave those grams. 

My only critique about the design is I think the jacket should have a stretchable inner chest pocket because I've found that putting my keys or other semi-sharp objects in the two front zippered pockets can easily damage/tear the thin Gore-Tex Paclite on the inside of the pockets. A stretchable inner chest pocket with proper backing on either side of the pocket would help prevent this sort of problem. 

Overall, I think it's a great three season jacket that you can stuff into any size pack. Whether it's your emergency rain shell in the backcountry or your casual cold weather shell in town, the Beta LT Hybrid has the versatility to be the only jacket you'll need. That being said, I recommend buying a Gore-Tex Pro shell for your winter sports. 

pros: lightweight, very compact, versatile
cons: not rugged enough for serious abuse, no inner chest pocket

No comments:

Post a Comment