Pages - Menu

1/11/14

Arc'teryx Cerium LT Hoody





There are a lot of great down jackets on the market these days and it wasn't until recently when I found out I was moving to the mountains that I should probably buy one. It was perfect timing too because +Arc'teryx was about to release their first line of technical down jackets. 

When I heard Arc'teryx was coming out with a line of down products I got excited. Arc'teryx is known for their proven innovations and quality so I was anxious to see what they would come up with. They debuted on the market with the Cerium LT hoody and Thorium AR hoody. Unique to these jackets is the combination of synthetic insulation in areas prone to moisture and down fill in all other areas. Also, Arc'teryx's own Airetica textile, used in the Cerium jacket, is a tightly woven, high tenacity 20x10 denier ripstop nylon which means its durable but also super light and water resistant.

The Cerium LT hoody was my jacket of choice because it is stuffed to the seams with 850 fill European white goose plumage for the best warmth-to-weight. It also has a corded front zipper for weight and noise reduction and two warm zippered pockets on the outside. 

The hood is also stuffed with white goose down creating plenty of loft around your ears and neck while the Thorium has a coreloft hood. This adds a considerable amount of warmth especially when it's cinched against your head using the drawcords. 

The Cerium LT was designed to be a solid mid-layer piece during the winter and it really lives up to this claim. At one of my jobs I worked on the mountain as a lift operator in Telluride. This meant that I was up at 6am every morning and working outside at 11,000+ft. It can definitely get cold with temperatures dropping to -20°F in the dead of winter sometimes. The Cerium saved my confidence and motivation during these mornings because I was able to stay so much warmer.  Even for the coldest mornings layering was easy. Usually a base layer, the Cerium jacket and a shell is all I need no matter what the conditions were outside. After doing my morning routine of shoveling snow and checking the engine room I sometimes had to take the Cerium off because I was getting so warm. Not only is the jacket super warm its also has a nice soft lining. It's smooth and comfortable just like your favorite down sleeping bag. 

Overall, I love this jacket. It is the warmest piece in my winter collection and my go-to for those really frigid mornings and nights. The craftsmanship is superb with high stitch counts and proven textiles. If I could make the jacket better I would add a drawcord on the waist like the Thorium has. The hem is slightly elastic but I like when I can cinch the jacket against my waist during the windy parts of the season. An internal chest pocket would be nice too. 

pros: exceptionally warm, high range of motion, articulated fit
cons: no drawcord at the waist, no chest pocket or internal pocket, lots of feathers poking out

Oh and if you haven't seen Lithographica, Arc'teryx's quarterly e-journal you should check it out. There's some very inspiring stuff in the second issue. My favorite read is the "Meet the real men at Arc'teryx."

No comments:

Post a Comment